We thought we’d help make it a little easier with some suggestions of great activities to keep the kids entertained these school holidays. Get out and enjoy!
- Enjoy a game of mini-golf at Wheeler Place in Newcastle until April 25 and is open daily from 10am.
- Pixar films including Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Coco, The Incredibles and Toy Story all feature in a pop-up mini-golf experience.
- 18+ after-dark sessions run Thursday through to Saturday from 7.30pm to 9pm.
- Book online at ticketek.com.au.
IRUKANDJI SHARK AND RAY ENCOUNTERS
- Just a short drive from Newcastle you will have an animal experience of a different kind. The educational shark and ray encounters are family fun for all!
- Enjoy a tour of the interactive aquarium and get up close and personal with sharks and rays.
- More info at their website here
OAKVALE WILDLIFE PARK – Salt Ash
- Set on 25 acres Oakvale is 100% Australian owned and operated.
- At the farm you will find an endless menagerie of Australian native and domestic farm animals such as ducklings, rabbits, goats, sheep, cattle and horses, koalas, kangaroos, wombats, emus, dingos and a myriad of birds as small as a quarrion and as large as an ostrich plus many, many more.
- More info at their website.
JETBUZZ WATER SPORTS – Cams Wharf
- JetBuzz Watersports is Lake Macquarie, Central Coast & Newcastle’s only Jet Boat operator, and the only in NSW which can operate in the ocean! Not to mention 6 hire boats, Kayaks, Stand Up Paddle boards and so much more!
- If you want an extreme experience join Jetbuzz on one of their three various Jet Boat Rides, which range between 20-60 minutes.
- Visit them online for full details here
- Celebrating 100 years at Stroud Showgrounds with a full weekend of attractions including rodeo, cattle judging, local produce pavilions, demolition derby and more.
- April 9 and 10
- Visit stroudshow.com
NEWCASTLE MUSEUM – Honeysuckle
- Until May 2, The interactive Colour exhibition developed by Questacon is on display. Tickets cost $5 for kids/$10 for adults.
- The museum operates every day during the school holidays.
HUNTER VALLEY GARDENS – Mega Creatures
- Discover amazing creatures with the Mega Creatures day session, download the Trail app and discover a flying Pterosaur, Woolly Mammoth, giant Brachiosaurus and more. Plus new for 2021 walking dinosaur!
- There is stacks to see and do during the day but as the sun sets specialty lighting will illuminate the pre-historic beasts, creating a thrilling spectacle for all ages.
- Get your tickets and more information HERE
- If you’re looking for a unique tour throughout the summer school holidays. Guided tours are available every day other than public holidays.
- Head to their website to view all of the tour options.
DECKED OUT CREATIVE WORKSHOPS
- Newcastle artist Mitch Revs will host Decked Out Creative Workshops.
- Kids can transform a blank skateboard deck into their own unique piece of art.
- Westfield Kotara from April 12 to 16, 10am to 2pm,
- Tickets cost $25 online at westfield.com.au/kotara.
HUNTER VALLEY ZOO – Cessnock
- Hunter Valley Zoo is a privately run zoo in the Heart of the Hunter Valley NSW.
- Feed kangaroos, wallabies, birds and farmyard animals in the interactive walk through yards. There is both native and exotic animals including monkeys, alligators, dingoes, tazzy devils, wombats, koalas, kangaroos, reptiles, birds, LIONS! and much much more.
- Cook up a storm on the free bbq facilities or bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
- All weather family fun with a 1 km Toboggan track. Tractor Train ride though beautiful bush land to giant 800m2 Maze, Indoor Rock Climbing Indoor ‘Hot’ Ice-Skating, 19 Hole Mini-Golf, Huge Fun Shed with remote controlled cars & boats, coin operated games and jumping castles, Splash Down Water Game and Plaster Model Painting!
- Full details and pricing at their website.
RIP CURL NEWCASTLE CUP
- Check out all the action of the Rip Curl Newcastle Cup at Merewether Beach until April 11.
- Get all the latest info, results and watch it here
- Budding magicians can learn the tricks with local magician JD Howlett.
- The workshop is at Charlestown Library on April 12 at 2pm and for ages 7+.
- Tickets $15 online at eventbrite.com.au
HUNTER WETLANDS CENTRE – Shortland
- On April 19, learn about the shy and mysterious Australasian Bittern and other birds.
- There will even be a goody bag of activities to take home. Sausage Sizzle available for $2.50 on the day
- Go Bittern spotting, learn about indigenous culture in the bush tucker garden, listen to stories, Paint a bird and lots more.
- Full details at the website here
TREETOPS ADVENTURE PARK – Minmi
- Challenge yourself with these ultimate WOW factor experiences in the tree tops! Take your pick of the fun work out. Amazing heights of the Vertical Challenges or the extreme thrill of the Crazy Rider.
- Bookings recommended, book online HERE
INFLATABLE WORLD – Warners Bay
- It’s not just for the kids – BIG kids (adults) are encouraged to have fun with the young ones also. Sessions are for two hours per single entry fee.
- Entry costs $8 for under 5s $15 for 5 to 100 years $15 for parent and bub under 5 years Spectators are free.
- Home to exotic reptiles from around the world and a wide variety of Australian native animals. Enjoy live entertaining shows, themed exhibits and behind the scenes tours.
- Learn about conservation work undertaken by keepers including the Tasmanian devil breeding program at Devil Ark, and the lifesaving snake and spider venom collection work.
REPTILE RESCUER – Teresa Purnell
- Teresa Purnell is sharing all her knowledge about snakes during an insightful discussion at The Swansea Centre.
- April 9 at 11am.
- Register for this free event online at eventbrite.com.au.
LOVE DONUTS? Cooking Class
- Doughheads at The Junction are offering a hands-on doughnut decorating workshops at their store
- April 14, 15 and 16 at 9am.
- Tickets $38 at eventbrite.com.au.
If you want to take in some movies these school holidays there are some great releases to keep the kids (and the big kids) entertained. Check your local cinema website for session times.
All information in this guide is believed to be correct at time post was uploaded. Please check with individual businesses for most up to date information.