We thought we’d help make it a little easier with some suggestions of great activities to keep the kids entertained these school holidays.
IRUKANDJI SHARK AND RAY ENCOUNTERS
- Just a short drive from Newcastle you will have an animal experience of a different kind. The educational shark and ray encounters are family fun for all!
- Enjoy a tour of the interactive aquarium and get up close and personal with sharks and rays.
- More info at their website here
OAKVALE WILDLIFE PARK – Salt Ash
- Set on 25 acres Oakvale is 100% Australian owned and operated.
- At the farm you will find an endless menagerie of Australian native and domestic farm animals such as ducklings, rabbits, goats, sheep, cattle and horses, koalas, kangaroos, wombats, emus, dingos and a myriad of birds as small as a quarrion and as large as an ostrich plus many, many more.
- More info at their website.
JETBUZZ WATER SPORTS – Cams Wharf
- JetBuzz Watersports is Lake Macquarie, Central Coast & Newcastle’s only Jet Boat operator, and the only in NSW which can operate in the ocean! Not to mention 6 hire boats, Kayaks, Stand Up Paddle boards and so much more!
- If you want an extreme experience join Jetbuzz on one of their three various Jet Boat Rides, which range between 20-60 minutes.
- Visit them online for full details here
NEWCASTLE MUSEUM – Honeysuckle
- See colour as you’ve never seen it before in this exciting exhibition developed by Questacon – the National Science and Technology Centre and presented by Newcastle Museum.
- Engage with more than 20 scientific experiences, ranging from coloured bubbles to iridescent insects to colour illusions. Explore how light influences colour and compare your perception of colour with your family and friends.
- Bookings essential HERE Suitable for ages 4+
HUNTER VALLEY GARDENS
- These school holidays, until 11th October, Hunter Valley Gardens offers pre-historic fun for all dinosaur enthusiasts, small and big! Explore the Gardens during the Morning session from 8am to 12:30pm or Afternoon session from 1:30pm to 6pm. Plus, download the Mega Creatures Trail app, a great activity with fun facts, questions, and challenges!
- Due to COVID restrictions, not all our rides are operating these school holidays, but you can enjoy a spin on the new Tea Cup and the traditional Venetian Carousel.
- Purchase your tickets online today HERE
- If you’re looking for a unique tour throughout the summer school holidays. Guided tours are available every day other than public holidays. Head to their website to view all of the tour options.
HUNTER VALLEY ZOO – Cessnock
- Hunter Valley Zoo is a privately run zoo in the Heart of the Hunter Valley NSW.
- Feed kangaroos, wallabies, birds and farmyard animals in the interactive walk through yards. There is both native and exotic animals including monkeys, alligators, dingoes, tazzy devils, wombats, koalas, kangaroos, reptiles, birds, LIONS! and much much more.
- Cook up a storm on the free bbq facilities or bring a picnic lunch and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.
- All weather family fun with a 1 km Toboggan track. Tractor Train ride though beautiful bush land to giant 800m2 Maze, Indoor Rock Climbing Indoor ‘Hot’ Ice-Skating, 19 Hole Mini-Golf, Huge Fun Shed with remote controlled cars & boats, coin operated games and jumping castles, Splash Down Water Game and Plaster Model Painting!
- Full details and pricing at their website.
- Sparkling Snowflakes, Watercolour Art and Little Sprouts – just a few of the exciting activities happening during the upcoming school holidays at Water Dragons Kids Club! Check out the full event listing https://bit.ly/35h4v2G
- Looking to book your school holiday accommodation? Do that here https://bit.ly/2R3PbOn
HUNTER WETLANDS CENTRE – Shortland
These school holidays are all about lizards! Pick up an All things Lizard booklet and take a leisurely Lizard Walk around the sensory garden. Learn more about these cute creatures and find out how to make your garden lizard- friendly. Meet Curley the new Pygmy Bearded Dragon. Blue Tongue Lizards Nudge and Russell have been very quiet over winter but have now come out of hibernation and can be seen in their enclosure and be sure to take home some lizard activity sheets.
- Full details at the website here
TREETOPS ADVENTURE PARK – Minmi
- Challenge yourself with these ultimate WOW factor experiences in the tree tops! Take your pick of the fun work out. Amazing heights of the Vertical Challenges or the extreme thrill of the Crazy Rider.
- Bookings recommended, book online www.TreeTops.com.au
INFLATABLE WORLD – Warners Bay
- It’s not just for the kids – BIG kids (adults) are encouraged to have fun with the young ones also. Sessions are for two hours per single entry fee.
- Opening Hours Saturday’s 10am – 5pm Sunday’s 10am – 3pm School Holiday’s Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm and will be open everyday during school holidays. Entry costs $8 for under 5s $15 for 5 to 100 years $15 for parent and bub under 5 years Spectators are free.
- Home to exotic reptiles from around the world and a wide variety of Australian native animals. Enjoy live entertaining shows, themed exhibits and behind the scenes tours.
- Learn about conservation work undertaken by keepers including the Tasmanian devil breeding program at Devil Ark, and the lifesaving snake and spider venom collection work.
If you want to take in some movies these school holidays there are some great ones to keep the kids entertained.
And now a few suggestions for the adults if you want a couple of hours free from the kids.
All information in this guide is believed to be correct at time post was uploaded. Please check with individual businesses for most up to date information.